The hurricane ravaged Caribbean island of St Maarten/Saint Martin is gradually repairing infrastructure in an effort to encourage tourists to return.
Rebuilding work is continuing after the island suffered a direct hit from hurricane Irma in September.
Ten hotels and inns reopened this month on the French side of Saint Martin, and 12 hotels and inns have reopened on the Dutch side of the island.
Private villas will begin accepting guests the first week of April.
Princess Juliana international airport re-opened a month after Irma struck with a temporary terminal while its main terminal is undergoing repairs.
On the French side, Grand Case International airport is open and taxis are available at both airports. A ferry service to St Barths and Anguilla is fully operational.
Almost 50 restaurants are open on the French side of the island and many others on the Dutch side around Simpson Bay and Philipsburg.
Many of the island’s attractions are up and running such as snorkelling, charter boat cruises, zip lines, and a new eco-adventure park called Rain Forest Adventures.
US holiday accommodation provider WIMCO Villas reports that of the 114 private villas in its portfolio in Saint Martin, 17 villas will available for rent from in the first week of April.
A spokesman said: “As spring arrives, the roads are free of debris, several restaurants and shops have re-opened, and beaches have been cleaned and re-opened. The recovery of the island of Saint Martin is underway.
“Grocery stores are fully provisioned and many of the local shops in Phillipsburg have re-opened.”
Hotels open in Saint Martin (French side):
• Grand Case: Bleu Emeraude Residence and Hever Hotel.
• Sandy Ground: Mercure Saint Martin Marina and Spa Hotel.
• Other: Le Beach, Les Balcons, Golfe Hotel, Shamrock residences, Adam & Eve residences, Mon Reve guesthouse
Projected Re-opening Dates for select hotels in Saint Martin:
• Hotel La Plantation will be having a soft opening April 16.
• Oyster Bay Beach Resort will open with limited rooms in April
• Grand Case Beach Club opening October 1.
• Le Petit Hotel will open June 1.
• Marquis Boutique Hotel opening June.
• Hotel L’Esplanade will open on November 1.
• Le Shambala Hotel will be open in November.
• Alamanda Resort will open November.
• Belmond La Samanna Hotel will open late 2018.
Hotels open in St Maarten (Dutch side):
• Simpson Bay: Atrium Beach Resort, Commodore Suites, Baker’s Suites, Travel Inn Hotel, Simpson Bay Suites, El Zafiro Boutique Hotel, Mary’s Boon Beach Plantation Resort.
• Dawn Beach: Princess Heights Luxury Condo Hotel.
• Philipsburg: Alicia’s Inn, Holland House Beach Hotel, Horizon View Beach Hotel.
Projected Re-opening Dates for hotels in St Maarten:
• The Belair Beach Hotel will open by the end of March.
• The Colombus Hotel will open at the end of April.
• Divi Little Bay Beach Resort will reopen on May 1.
• Sonesta Ocean Point Resort will open August 31.
• The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa is undergoing repairs and will open for the 2019 season.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.